Tuesday, June 2, 2009

REFLECTIONS BY THE ‘MOTHER OF THE HOUSE’ (Part 1)

Reading about the wonderful works that God is doing in the lives of our TCC members brings joy and fulfillment to my heart. Their amazing stories are like a beacon of hope to me personally as I reflect upon the events of our church for the past four years. (Yea, I have a tendency to ponder things in my heart, but this is not unusual for mothers, I think – see Luke 2: 19, 51)

“You Are the Man’s Wife . . .”
In March 2005, I was formally assimilated into the core of TCC by virtue of my marriage to the sole Pastor of the church. I had no idea what the role of a Pastor’s wife actually entails, but the words “Remember you are the man’s wife; not the pastor’s wife” from my Senior Pastor, Dr. William Vun, helped adjusted me in the early phase of my marriage. I felt that as the man’s wife, my primary function was to attend to his needs and to partner with him in the ministry.
My concept of partnering was to personally support, strengthen, sharpen and stand alongside him in areas of the emotional, spiritual, and intellectual; it was not to actively or necessarily fill up any physical or technical deficiencies in his services to the church, just as a lawyer’s wife,
a doctor’s wife or any other wife does not cover the lacks in their husband’s work or occupational career.

The Ladies’ Prayer Meeting
The spiritual climate of TCC in the early days of 2005 & 2006 was not like what I was used to at my home church, Glory Christian Center (GCC) in Kota Kinabalu (KK); I missed and longed for a consistency in our spontaneous excitement, passion and depths in our worship to God, in our understanding of the Word, and in our interpersonal relationship with one another.

Beginning 2006, when I heard of the Wednesday prayer meeting between Serena and Kim Suan at Serena’s top floor shop-lot, I invited myself to be their co-prayer partner. It was during those times of prayer together that I discovered Kim Suan and I were able to connect in the spirit as we cried out to God on behalf of TCC. In Matthew 18: 19, Jesus said “if two agree about anything . . . , it will be done by my Father in heaven”. Without a shadow of doubt, God heard our cries and acted. In June 2006, when GCC organized ‘School of Impacting Pastors’ (SIP), I convinced Pastor to release Kim Suan (with her prior consent & willingness,) from church administrative work for 2 weeks so that she could attend the SIP at KK.

Winds of Change

Upon Kim Suan’s return from KK, Pastor was amazed and affected by the positive changes he noticed in her. At his own will, Pastor started listening to the SIP CDs that I bought. God was definitely moving and working in his life. I was pleasantly surprised when one day, he finally consented to listen to the ‘Papa’ of my Senior Pastor. Just at the right timing too, I received an unexpected, first-time ever email from Jaya of Muar, informing that Dr. Jonathan David will be in KL. To ensure that Pastor would not back down on his word, I called Pastor Cyrus and Pastor Paul Smith – both of whom I have not known or met before – for details of Dr. Jonathan David’s KL meetings. (Boy, had I got to make many persistent phone calls cos’ they were not easily available! I later learned that they were on mission trips) Armed with the needed information, I reminded Pastor – “you promised you will go to Dr. Jonathan David’s meetings!”

It was August 2006, at FGA, which is off the Old Klang Road, KL that Pastor met and heard
Dr. Jonathan David for the first time after about 3 decades from their last encounter. Subsequently in November 2006, Pastor, Laffy and I travelled to Muar for our very first GEAR (God-Encounter Apostolic Reformation) and . . . the rest becomes His-Story!
To be continued . . .



By Ps. Nancy Kim
(our dearly beloved mum of the house :)

No comments:

Post a Comment