Wednesday, July 22, 2009

SIGNIFICANCE OF GOD'S FAVOR

Following is a conversation over the Gmail instant message between Kim Suan |and | Steph

I'm to preach in this church on 19th July. You and few of others will come along with me.
Waahhh~ Go there beramai-ramai (in a big group) and leave me alone la!

(Me being blur)

What leave you alone, you're interpreting for me!
WHAAAAAaaaaAATT????!!!!!!

(Okay, I just got the shock of my life)


I began interpreting (English-Mandarin)... back in April. Ever since I joined my current company, I have been given intensive interpretation assignments. It was (and it is still) never in my mind that I would be doing interpreting. Maybe casually but for professional purpose.... @_@

First ever interpreting assignment was given by Ps. Nancy, to interpret her teaching notes. That was fine but I took a while to interpret the few pages of notes. My primary school level mandarin was put to work again, intensive work. And that's where everything begin.

I casually put translating as one of my skills in my resume and I believe that ,that was one of the main reasons why I was hired in regardless of my education background that doesn't match the job requirements at all. That's when I was FORCED to do lots of professional interpretation. I had a hard time because I was not familiar with electronics and business jargon, what more with my limited mandarin vocabulary.

It is because I am so actively doing interpretation for my work, I begin to be more sensitive to the interpreter on Sunday Service in church. Pastor once said,

I was sitting here and I heard someone at the other corner was helping the interpreter with some words, that's when I know we have a new interpreter.


Hilarious. But it is an honor to me. Honestly, I once have the thought of picking up interpretation and planned to go through some interpreting trainings. Unfortunately, I am always occupied with whole lots of things and have whole lots of things to do in my to-do-list. Besides, I almost failed my mandarin for UPSR and I was really not good at mandarin.

Now I can speak mandarin fluently for my interviews with CEOs and directors from the North Asia Pacific countries. Church has given me intensive training and abundant opportunity to sharpen my skills. On 19th July 2009, I was sent out for a mission - to interpret in another church.

I felt so honoured for this opportunity. And to be honest, I still got stuck here and there and failed to interpret some words accurately. Someone who was there back in April when I first interpreted told me that I have improved much! *phew!*

David was the most insignificant among his brother but God has chosen Him for greater purpose.

"The Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

God looks for those hearts that are connected to His. Heart that is open to Him - to be shaped, sharpen, trained and tested. Regardless how insignificant you appear to be, God can turn the whole thing around when our hearts are yielded to Him. When you love someone deeply, it is not just the physical actions that shows but what is in the heart, is fundamental. Neither David nor Stephanie can be significant if it wasn't for God's favor.

"...And the Lord said, "Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!" ... and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward." 1 Samuel 16: 12-13

I would never want to stop God from performing His miracles in my life. You will never know that something insignificant can be essential when God intervene! Keep our focus on Him! Build according to His purpose and follow His proceeding word! Not the situation around us, not who we think we are, not about our past either. (Outward appearance) God looks (present tense) at your heart!

Look at what God did in my life! When God there, everyday is a new day, a new beginning! After all, we are His son! We are set for succession! We are the Finishing Generation! The one who will FINISH the race!



StephNg
By StephNg


Update: Translation skill is flying me to China!

=D~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment